Abbas Sabur is experienced in a wide variety of corporate, commercial and civil disputes.
Mr. Sabur is a partner of the firm. Since his call to the Bar in 2004, Mr. Sabur has appeared before various courts and administrative tribunals in British Columbia, Ontario and Alberta. He has conducted and assisted in numerous trials and appeals and has worked on complex commercial arbitrations and mediations. Benchmark Canada has recognized Mr. Sabur as a “Litigation Star”. Best Lawyers Canada and the UK-based Chambers and Partners have recognized him in the area of Corporate and Commercial Litigation. Mr. Sabur also holds an AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell® rating for legal skills and ethics, the publication’s highest level of professional excellence.
Mr. Sabur has worked with a broad spectrum of clients, ranging from public institutions and private companies in various industries including mining, development, entertainment and financial services, to private business entrepreneurs. He has a particular interest in banking and securities litigation and has expertise in managing the myriad issues that arise at the intersection of civil, commercial, administrative and quasi-criminal law.
In recent years, Mr. Sabur has acted in matters involving:
- Bank litigation, including fraud investigations, financing disputes and broker negligence claims
- Shareholder, partnership and employment disputes
- Oppression, breach of fiduciary duty and director and officer liability claims
- Securities investigations, regulatory proceedings and white-collar criminal defence
- Regulatory defence involving matters of professional discipline
- Estate litigation
- All forms of commercial property and real estate development disputes
- Contract, business torts and professional negligence claims
- Mareva injunctions and Anton Piller orders
- Defamation and libel claims
- Expropriation and compensation claims.
Mr. Sabur joined Shapray Cramer Fitterman Lamer LLP in 2010. Prior to joining the firm, he practiced in the litigation department of a leading national firm. Mr. Sabur also practiced commercial and securities litigation in Toronto, Canada, where he acted in an array of civil, quasi-criminal, criminal and administrative cases. He has written and published about securities and corporate law matters and has presented at Continuing Legal Education conferences.
- University of Alberta: BSc, 2000
- Osgoode Hall Law School: LLB, 2003
- New York University School of Law: LLM, 2008
- Called to the Ontario Bar, 2004
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 2006
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 2008
- Corporate/commercial litigation
- Mining industry disputes
- Securities litigation
- Real property litigation
- Employment law disputes
- Defamation claims and defence
- Professional negligence
- Construction and engineering law disputes
- Estate litigation
- Entertainment law disputes